Greek/Translation

Question
Hello I was wondering if you could translate these two greek phrases into English please.

ΜΗΠΟΚΑ ΛΑΝΘΑΝΕΙΝ

ΜΗΠΟΧ' ΥΠΟΣΤΡΕΦΕ

Please and thank you for the translation!

-Ryan Doyle

Answer
Hello,

Actually in Ancient /Classical Greek the word ΜΗΠΟΚΑ (μήποκα in small letters) does not exist at all.
Instead, there is the negative conjunction ΜΗΠΟTE  (μήποτε in small letters) as well as  ΜΗKΟTE (μήkοτε in small letters)  which is  however an obsolete form of  the Ionic dialect for the more common ΜΗΠΟTE.

Both  ΜΗΠΟTE  and ΜΗKΟTE mean “Never”.

Such a conjunction   ΜΗΠΟTE (μήποτε)is used in prohibition or warning with an imperative or an infinitive mood  for imperative.

Therefore both ΜΗΠΟTE ΛΑΝΘΑΝΕΙΝ and ΜΗKΟTE ΛΑΝΘΑΝΕΙΝ  mean:”Never be hidden” /"Never hide youself" where ΜΗΠΟTE / ΜΗKΟTE means “Never” and the infinitive present, active voice, ΛΑΝΘΑΝΕΙΝ (λανθάνειν  in small letters) means “be hidden/hide/”.
Please note that this verb when used in the passive voice can have other meanings.

As for ΜΗΠΟΧ' ΥΠΟΣΤΡΕΦΕ,  I have to tell you  that ΜΗΠΟΧ' does not exist in Ancient/Classical Greek, while ΥΠΟΣΤΡΕΦΕ (ὑπόστρεφε in small letters), which is the 2nd.person singular,active voice, Imperative present of the verb ὑποστρέφω, can mean “return”, but can also have other meanings according to the context that you did not tell me.

In short, I suppose that the strange form ΜΗΠΟΧ' stands for ΜΗΠΟTE meaning “Never” and then “ΜΗΠΟTE  ΥΠΟΣΤΡΕΦΕ (μήποτε ὑπόστρεφε )could mean “Never return”, though it would need to know the exact sentence where ΜΗΠΟTE  ΥΠΟΣΤΡΕΦΕ is placed.

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria