Greek/ancient Greek translation

Question
Hi Maria,
I am writing a story that takes place in ancient Greece, and would like to know the ancient Greek words for "go" or "move" and also for "halt" or "stop."  (The context is a mule driver coaxing his mule to go and stop.)

Also, what would be the ancient Greek word for "go" or "move" as a command to a group of male slaves?

Thank you!

Answer
Hello,

the ancient Greek words for "go" or "move" and also for "halt" or "stop" in the context  that you have mentioned are the following:

- βαῖνε or πρόβαινε (2nd person singular, imperative present meaning: “Go” or “move” addressed to a mule)

- ἵστασο (2nd person singular, imperative present meaning: "halt" or "stop"  addressed to a mule)

As for the ancient Greek word for "go" or "move" as a command to a group of male slaves, here it is:

-βαίνετε or προβαίνετε (2nd person plural, imperative present)

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-βαῖνε and  πρόβαινε are the 2nd person singular, imperative present of βαίνω and προβαίνω respectively.

-ἵστασο is the 2nd person singular, imperative present of the middle-passive verb ἵσταμαι.

-βαίνετε and προβαίνετε are the 2nd person plural, imperative present of βαίνω and προβαίνω respectively

Greek

Maria