Greek/Surnames

Question
Hi , My Grandfathers first name is PANAGIOTIS Eleuterius or the last name could have been changed from ( Lefteris). What part of Greece do you believe the name comes from, and is it true that male sons are often named after the mothers father. Thanks

Answer
Hi Ferrell,

it is difficult to say, because this surname does not carry elements that strikingly belong to a particular geographical region. There are many surnames that look exactly like a first name, but yet I am not sure whether we can specify their origin. At least I cannot help you on this.

You might want to try another expert. Apologies and good luck!

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas