Greek/dual roof?

Question
Hi:

I would appreciate your input on the etymology of the Greek word "dyphus", as found in the genus Stegodyphus.

Kind regards
S.

Answer
Hello,

"Stegodyphus", as a Latinized name of this genus of araneomorph spiders in the family Eresidae, seems to be composed of two ancient Greek terms, i.e. the noun στέγος , transliterated as “stégos” meaning “roof” and the adjective  διφυής, transliterated as “diphués” meaning “of double nature or form”/”double”.

I think that the French entomologist Pierre André Latreille  who in 1817  coined the term "Stegodyphus  lineatus"  has used an adaptation of the Greek adjective “diphués” which has been Latinized as "dyphus".

As for the reason why such a spider has been named "Stegodyphus" which seems to mean “double roof” or “roof of double form or nature”, I'm sorry, but spider species and Araneae families are not my field of expertise, of course, and thus I do not know how  double roof” or “roof of double form or nature” can be refer to  such a spider. Maybe you are able to understand this.

I am afraid I cannot tell you more.

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria