What is the best way to translate an Attic Greek sentence?
I have short sentences to translate. Do you have any tips for me?
Do beginners often use the wrong technique?
This is a sentences I have to translate: Σῴζομαι ὑπὸ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ
What exactly does it mean?

the sentence Σῴζομαι ὑπὸ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ  literally means:”I am being saved by the brother” or “I am being saved by my  brother”, as Σῴζομαi  corresponds to “I am being saved”, while  ὑπὸ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ   means “by  the brother”, as you can read below.

With regard to any tips for translating ancient Greek sentences, you simply need to know ancient Greek grammar and syntax, especially the verbs conjugation, nouns declension and cases, as well as the use of the prepositions before a noun in the indirect objects.

So, note that:

-Σῴζομαι (1st. person singular, present indicative, middle passive voice of the transitive active verb σῴζω meaning “I save”)= I am saved, I am being saved.

-ὑπὸ  (preposition which takes the genitive in the Direct Agent) = by

-τοῦ  (definite article, genitive masculine singular) = the (literal)

-ἀδελφοῦ (genitive singular of the masculine noun  ἀδελφός, 2nd declension) = brother

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning ANCIENT GREEK. So, do not ask me please questions regarding MODERN GREEK as it is different from Ancient Greek either in spelling/meaning or in pronunciation.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy) and my thesis was about ancient Greek drama (Aeschylus).

This expert accepts donations: