Greek/Greek surname?

Dear Michael,
I hail from Malta. We have a lot of surnames of Greek origin here.
Somebody told me that the surname APAP is also Greek. Does the word apapy/apapis occur in Classical/Modern Greek? If so, what does it mean.
Thanks in advance

Hi Mario,

thank you for your inquiry. I believe that the surnames have decayed quite much in the passing of the years and I cannot tell what the primary version could have been. There is, though, a word such as "apape" (ἀπάπη), which is a kind of plant (maybe flower), but I cannot claim whether there is a definite connection between the two words. This is the only thing I can offer, as it is a quite special topic that has to do with the diachrony of names, a field of expertise that I have not occupied myself with.

You might want to try more experts and combine the responses. I wish you a good evening and good luck with your search.

Michael Barkas

I provide assistance in linguistic, literary topics of Greek and Latin covering, thus, the following fields: translation, grammar, syntax, vocabulary, etymology, morphology, semantics and interpretations etc.

Studies: University of the Aegean, Dept Rhodes Friedrich Wilhelm Universitšt Bonn

Magister Artium (Archeology/Linguistics) Bachelor (Latin/English/Greek)