Greek/Hello! I would like to konw about

Question
QUESTION: Hello! I would like to know if "ἀρρενοκοίτης" and "ἀρσενοκοίτης" had the same meaning or were different words, different meanings. Thank you!

ANSWER: Hello,

The ancient Greek  masculine nouns "ἀρρενοκοίτης" and  "ἀρσενοκοίτης", both belonging to the 1st declension, are not different words  and have the same meaning.

They both are composed of  the Attic adjective ἄρρην, whose Ionic version was ἄρσην,  meaning “male”, and the feminine noun  κοίτη meaning “marriage-bed”, so that  both ἀρρενοκοίτης" and "ἀρσενοκοίτης"  mean  “one who lies with a male” and then “sodomite”, “homosexual”  (see Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians 6:9 “οὔτε πόρνοι οὔτε εἰδωλολάτραι οὔτε μοιχοὶ οὔτε μαλακοὶ οὔτε ἀρσενοκοῖται ….βασιλείαν θεοῦ κληρονομήσουσιν “ meaning “Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals…...will inherit the Kingdom of God”)

To conclude, the ancient Greek  masculine noun "ἀρρενοκοίτης" and its Ionic  version "ἀρσενοκοίτης"  are not different words  and have the same meaning.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that in ancient Greece there are three  main dialects, i.e. Ionic, Attic and Doric.
Together, Attic and Ionic (Ionic-Attic) gave rise to the so-called Koiné Greek, i.e. the ancient Greek we study today.

QUESTION: Hi"!
I appreciated your answer but I got a doubt. When you said
“one who lies with a male” you're talking about
"a male who lies  with a male", right?

Answer
Hello,

it is so: “one who lies with a male” refers to "a male who lies  with a male", i.e.  “a sodomite”, “a homosexual man”, just as I've already written.

The ancient Greek  masculine nouns "ἀρρενοκοίτης" and  "ἀρσενοκοίτης", both belonging to the 1st masculine declension and composed of the Attic adjective ἄρρην (Ionic, ἄρσην)which means “male”, are in fact used only in the masculine just to indicate "a male who lies  with a male",i.e. “a sodomite”, “a homosexual man”, not "a homosexual woman", i.e. "a lesbian".

Bye,
Maria

Greek

Maria