Greek/Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound

Question
Hi Maria,

I am involved in a staged production of Prometheus Bound, and wanted to know your advice on good translations of the text. I studied new testament Greek many years ago, and on looking at the greek of Aeschylus I find the translations I have on hand tend to lose the meter and structure almost completely. All sense of strophe and antistrophe seems lost except in one or two token places. There seems a constant tendency (that biblical scholars did too) to both translate and interpret, so that what we get are intellectual sentences with metaphors lost - and allusions to common themes lost by interpreting a metaphor in different ways in different places. The greek text is much more visceral and emotive and artful than the translations, and plenty of translations make basic errors. I embarked on revising these translations for our script but it is a promethean task itself, and I wouldn't want to steal your thunder (fire) if you have a good poetic translation you can suggest!
thank you

Answer
Hello,

first of all it’s not so easy to find a translation of Aeschylus Prometheus Bound
(Προμηθεὺς δεσμώτης) which is absolutely respectful of the meter and structure
of the Greek text, since ancient Greek and English have obviously  their own
peculiarities so that most translations by no means do justice to the Greek text.

Anyway, apart from the fact that you did not tell me what kind of translation
(prose/verse) you are using, I can suggest the following translations:

-Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound
Translator: Murray, George Gilbert Aimé (1866-1957)
Date of first publication [this translation]: 1931
See "A Project Gutenberg Canada Ebook " at:
http://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/murrayaeschylus-prometheusbound/murrayaeschylus-p

-Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound
Translated by G. Theodoridis
©2006
See at: http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Greek/Prometheus.htm

-Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound
edited with introduction, commentary and translation by George Thomson
Cambridge University press, 1932
See at:
https://books.google.it/books?id=Ldq7AQAAQBAJ&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=Falsely+we+named+thee+the+Foresighted+One,&source=bl&ots=1JsNwGakww&sig=0-nc6xq2AZHtSFouAIlXGn__gPg&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdr5-VrbrJAhVEvhQKHWZ2AUEQ6AEIJjAB#v=onepage&q=Falsely%20we%20named%20thee%20the%20Foresighted%20One%2C&f=false

Hope this can be helpful to you, although I really think that it is very difficult to have
a good poetic translation of Aeschylus Prometheus Bound.

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria