Greek/Pharmakeia

Question
QUESTION: What does the word pharmakeia mean exactly? In the context of antiquity, what would pharmakeia consist of? I would like to have an in depth understanding of what this word means in context.

Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Danne,

thank you for your inquiry. If you want, send me the text, as I do not believe that it shall have a special meaning other 'offering a poison', or even just 'poisoning'. There might be a metaphorical use, too.

Do not hesitate to contact me again. Have a good evening.

Cordially,
Michael

QUESTION: The text is actually found in the new testament especially Galatians 5:20.

Answer
The word is enlisted among negative 'habits'. Possible meanings would be 'drug-making or offering' or in terms of witchcraft 'poisons and perverted medicinal preparations'. For such interpretations consult a theologist, as many words are to be understood within a certain context.

Hope this helped you. Have a good day.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas