Greek/on the transliteration of

Question
Hello,

I have noticed that υ can be transliterated as either "u" or "y."
As I never know when it's "u" and when "y," I was wondering whether there was a rule that I should follow to properly transliterate this Greek letter in the Latin alphabet.

Thank you in advance,
Patrick

Answer
Hello,

actually there is no rule that you could follow to properly transliterate the Greek letter upsilon in the Latin alphabet.

Maybe the different transliteration of the upsilon depends on the fact that  in ancient Greek the upsilon  is written as  υ in  lower case and as Υ in upper case: hence the use of "u" or "y " in Latin alphabet.

See for example μῦς  in lower case and MYΣ in upper case.

In short, you can use either "u" or "y" in the transliteration of an ancient Greek word.

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria