Greek/on the verbal form of

Question
Hello,

In Plato's Apology, 17c, there is this verbal form, προσδοκησάτω, of προσδοκάω (to expect), which I am not familiar with.
Could you please tell me what form this is?

Thank you in advance,
Patrick

Answer
Hello,

Προσδοκησάτω  in  καὶ μηδεὶς ὑμῶν προσδοκησάτω ἄλλως (Plato's Apology, 17c ) is the 3rd person singular  aorist  imperative  active of the verb  προσδοκάω meaning “I expect” ( whether in hope or fear) as well as “I think, I suppose, I imagine”, whose indicative aorist, 1st person singular, is  προσἐδόκησα (I expected, I supposed, I thought), while the 2nd person of the imperative aorist is προσδόκησον (= expect, suppose, think, imagine).

To sum up, καὶ μηδεὶς ὑμῶν προσδοκησάτω ἄλλως literally means:”and let none of you expect anything else”.

Hope all is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________
Note that:
-καὶ=and
-μηδεὶς = none
-ὑμῶν = of you
-προσδοκησάτω = let...expect
-ἄλλως = otherwise, i.e. anything else

Greek

Maria