Greek/Plato Translation

Question
Hi Maria. Could you please translate these two Plato quotes into ancient Greek? Thank you.

“A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers”

“Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.”

Answer
Hello,

Please note that  either “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers” and  “Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty” are nothing but an adaptation of the original quotes that we read in Plato,  Laches 184e, and in Plato, Republic, book 8, 564a, respectively.

Therefore I mustn’t translate these quotes into ancient Greek, but simply tell you their original Greek text as Plato wrote it.

So, “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers” reads in Plato, Laches 184e, as follows:

Ἐπιστήμῃ γὰρ οἶμαι δεῖ κρίνεσθαι ἀλλ᾽ οὐ πλήθει τὸ μέλλον καλῶς κριθήσεσθαι

Also, “Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty” reads in Plato, Republic , book 8, 564a, as follows:

Eἰκότως τοίνυν, εἶπον, οὐκ ἐξ ἄλλης πολιτείας τυραννὶς καθίσταται ἢ ἐκ δημοκρατίας, ἐξ οἶμαι τῆς ἀκροτάτης ἐλευθερίας δουλεία πλείστη  τε καὶ ἀγριωτάτη .

Best regards,

Maria
________________________________________________________________________
See the following links for Plato, Laches 184e, and Plato, Republic, book 8, 564a:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0175%3Atex

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0167%3Aboo

Greek

Maria