Greek/Quotes translation

Question
I wrote the following translations in Latin for my philosophy class. The teacher suggests to have it in ancient Greek which were first written. (Quotes of Socrates). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
(a) To find yourself, think for yourself
(b) I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.
Thanks in advance
Antreas

Answer
Hello,

First of all, as you  certainly know, Socrates wrote nothing and thus information about his personality and doctrine is derived chiefly from depictions of his conversations and other information that we can read  in the dialogues of Plato.

In short, both  “To find yourself, think for yourself” and “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”,  that are attributed to Socrates,  are a mere compendium and English adaptation of what Plato, student of Socrates, tells of him in his “Apology of Socrates”  which is Plato's version of the speech given by Socrates to  defend himself in 399 BC  against the charges of corrupting the young and not believing in the gods of Athens.

That being stated, here’s the Greek text for the following sentences, as we read in Plato’s Apology (sections 33a - 33b):

(a) Γνώσῃ σεαυτόν,  εἰ αὐτός  φροντιεῖς  (literally, “You will know yourself, if you yourself will think”, i.e. “To find yourself, think for yourself “)

(b) Έγὼ δὲ διδάσκαλος μὲν οὐδενὸς πώποτ᾽ἐγενόμην. Eἴποτε φροντίζειν διδάσκω (literally, “I was never any one's teacher. If only I teach how to think”, i.e. “I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”)

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria