Greek/My Last Name

Question

I am wondering what the correct pronunciation is for the last name Chrysafides. Also, I am wondering if you happen to know the meaning of this last name.

Thanks!!

Answer
Hello Steven,

thank you for your inquiry. I assume that you are looking for the Greek pronunciation when you say 'correctly'. Although the transliteration has been done as usually - i.e. so that the letters correspond to the Greek orthography - the pronunciation does not happen to coincide.

If you want to pronounce the surname correctly consider the following IPA transcription: /xrisa'fišis/ or the following orthography that brings it closer to the Greek sounds: Hrisafithis.

The compounds are obviously from 'chyrsafi' (<'chrysos') / 'chrysafis' (χρυσάφι/χρυσαφής, 'gold', 'golden') with the common suffix that is usually sourced in the Black Sea areas -ides (-ίδης). The latter originally comes from 'eidos' (cf. 'idea, idol, kaleidoscope') which means 'resemblance, look, form' and the like, but when used of surnames it means 'son of ...'; in this case 'of Chrysafi[s]'.

I hope this was helpful enough. Have a good day.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas