Greek/Middle-Eastern Cuisine/Meat and potatoes

Question
Hi I have a question that i've been asking everyone and no one knows what I'm talking about. When I was in the army I was posted in Germany and there was a dish I always ate , it was very popular and I believe it was Turkish. When I ordered it at the pubs and restaurants I always asked for meat and potatoes but that wasn't the actual name. I guess that was just a nickname we used for it. Since I've been back in the states ice looked really hard for it but can't find it anywhere. The dish consists of thin slices of crispy potatoes mixed in with pieces of meat and cheese with this white sause. It is really good. I just don't know the name and I'm hoping you can help me.
Thank you
Wes

Answer
Hi Wes,

This is very interesting because normally Turkish food would not be on the menu of German pubs and restaurants.  

The traditional Turkish meat with fried potato in the oven recipe is here: http://www.yemek-tarifi.info/english/recipe.php?recipeid=187 and you could add some bechamel and cheese at the end of the cooking time.

Sorry I'm not more helpful with this but I still can't decide whether what you had actually was Turkish or German.

Cheers
Dina

Greek/Middle-Eastern Cuisine

Dina Street