Greek/Middle-Eastern Cuisine/Meat and potatoes

Hi I have a question that i've been asking everyone and no one knows what I'm talking about. When I was in the army I was posted in Germany and there was a dish I always ate , it was very popular and I believe it was Turkish. When I ordered it at the pubs and restaurants I always asked for meat and potatoes but that wasn't the actual name. I guess that was just a nickname we used for it. Since I've been back in the states ice looked really hard for it but can't find it anywhere. The dish consists of thin slices of crispy potatoes mixed in with pieces of meat and cheese with this white sause. It is really good. I just don't know the name and I'm hoping you can help me.
Thank you

Hi Wes,

This is very interesting because normally Turkish food would not be on the menu of German pubs and restaurants.  

The traditional Turkish meat with fried potato in the oven recipe is here: and you could add some bechamel and cheese at the end of the cooking time.

Sorry I'm not more helpful with this but I still can't decide whether what you had actually was Turkish or German.

Greek/Middle-Eastern Cuisine

Dina Street

I can answer questions relating to the history of the Turkish cuisine, specific recipes for home cooking and traditional methods of preparation and serving.

I am half Turkish and have spent the last 17 years in Turkey, having operated two businesses in the food catering industry.

Regular restaurant reviewer and food writer for the Bodrum Observer newspaper

B.A. Near Eastern Studies (UC Berkeley) specializing in Turkish language and literature