Group Employee Benefit Plans/HEALTH INSURANCE

Question
I AM 66 AND STILL WORKING, MY WIFE IS 62 WHERE I WORK WE ARE INSURED UNDER MY PLAN.  I HAVE PART A, AND B STARTING ON MARCH 1
MY EMPLOYER IS SUGGESTING THAT B WILL BE MY PRIMARY AND HAVE A SUPPLIMENTAL UNDER (THE WORKING AGED) BUT MY WIFE AND I WILL BE
UNDER A FAMILY PLAN WHICH IS MORE EXPENSIVE. IS THERE ANY OTHER
WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS IN ORDER TO SAVE ON INSURANCE. WE HAVE HARVARD PILGRIM

Answer
Hi Dana,

Thanks for reaching out. I am going to give some general info that should give you enough to go back and confirm with your employer, etc... but without knowing your specific employer plan details, state, etc... it will be hard to be exact.

1) Typically if you are on Part A, B and then purchase a supplement you will have as good as coverage (or better) at a lower price. So there is not usually a downside nor a reason to be double insured.

2) You should be able to get A, B and the supplement (as well as Part D, which is RX), have yourself removed from your employers plan and they should allow your spouse to remain covered. This should solve the issue and your rates should go down.

I would ask your employer if the carrier will allow it. But we have a couple different people at different carriers and employers doing this same thing.

If you have further questions, feel free to reach out to me.

Jason
jason@smbinsure.com

Group Employee Benefit Plans

Jason T. Andrew