Growing Vegetables/Growing in Las Vegas

kumanakaya wrote at 2013-02-26 22:01:24
I live in Las Vegas.  I just finished my winter crop.  I planted in September/October.  I built a rudimentary a-frame and covered it with plastic for the few days we had a frost.  In two 2' x 8' raised beds I planted broccoli, snow peas, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, celery, lettuce and some herbs.  I still have lettuce, broccoli (lots of it) and the snow peas are starting to come back.  From last year in an old bath tub, I have swiss chard and artichokes.  I purchased 5 - 3 cu ft bags of compost, ripped open the bottom, cut a big hole in the top and planted spinach, carrots, lettuce and spinch.  All are now starting to grow well.  I have grown popcorn and zuccini and they did well.  My tomatoes failed frequently as did my cucumbers and beans.  The snow peas did well in the bath tub but not well in the raised bed.

Growing Vegetables

Kindred Beisinger penname K D Elizabeth Beisinger

I can answer questions about natural gardening. We refer to our type of gardening as Orthodox organic. We do not use chemicals of any kind for pest control or plant growth. I can offer information regarding the growth of herbs and spices, as well. I can also share some canning and freezing tips for enjoying home grown vegetables year round. Growing vegetables provides healthy benefits for the body and the mind.

We live on what I believe is now termed a hobby farm. We are Messianic missionaries and raise all of our own vegetables, and some fruit. The change in the grocery budget is absolutely amazing.

Last Days Survival Handbook, Simply Abundant