Growing Vegetables/Production of Brussel Aprouts

Question
I grew b...S... last year and this year. The same plants, and the sprouts (after 2 years) are still only about 1 inch diameter. What foods do they lack? How do I get them to harvest (I intended them for Thanksgiving!). I live on Colorado plains, a walled garden, plenty of compost in it.  B. B.

Answer
I am not sure what you are comparing your Brussels sprouts too as the average size is usually about 1 inch in diameter so yours are a pretty normal in size, they can be harvested once the sprout is firm and filled out.  

If you want to experiment add potassium fertilizer to your soil and see if that helps in producing larger sprouts.  Potassium is the mineral needed to produce healthy fruits, heads, and seeds.  I use greensand in my own garden as a potassium source, if you cannot access this where you live look for a fertilizer high in potassium "K" content.   I usually sprinkle 2 cups per 100 square feet every second year into my garden.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know.

Happy Gardening,

Catherine
www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com  

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott