Growing Vegetables/Soil Test

Question
I received the results from a soil test for my vegetable garden and the results were low in Nitrogen and Sulfur and the recommendation was to use ammonium sulfate to increase these elements. Should I incorporate this into the soil (e.g., by rototilling) or simply broadcast on the surface of the soil before (or after) planting?

Answer
It is always best to work the sulfate into the soil two weeks prior to planting. I never recommend planting immediately after because the fresh ammonium-sulfate can burn the roots.

Once you do plant, use a water soluble fertilizer once every 10 days. This should be a balanced fertilizer because too much nitrogen will promote lush foliage at the expense of fruiting. Nitrogen is great for leafy vegetables, but you want phosphorus for fruit-bearing vegetables and potassium for root vegetables, such as carrots, beets, and radishes.

I hope this answered your question. Please write again if I can ever provide assistance.

Mike

Growing Vegetables

Mike Mascio