Growing Vegetables/Spicy Tomatoes

Is there such a thing as a tomato that has been altered to be naturally spicy?  Seems like it would be a cool thing if possible.

Ken, there are literally thousands of tomato varieties available due to advances in hybridization. Through genetic alterations, tomatoes now come in various colors (including pink and purple), different sizes, and tastes. There are varieties that have a peppery taste, which are more spicy, and those with different levels of sweetness.

Unfortunately, these special hybrids are not normally sold at nurseries and local garden centers. You have to purchase these on-line through seed companies, and then grow them from seed.Some companies, however, do ship seedlings.

Attached are some of my favorite sites. Most of them offer free catalogs. They also provide very detailed descriptions and photos of their products.

I hope this information helps. Good luck, and have a great weekend.

Growing Vegetables

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.