Growing Vegetables/growing asparagas in a bucket?

I live in Montana ,but the place I currently live at has a very limited space in which to grow things, I want my children to learn what plants grow well and which ones won't. I have only had either wild grown or store bought but have never grown any of my own. and a lot of my local green houses in the area look at me funny when I ask them if they have the "root balls ""I have tried other gardens in a bucket with different types of veggie plants and with the quality of soil around here its hard to get good veggies to grow with out a green house or plastic sheet cover . the quick growers that do grow around here are , peas, carrots, potatoes , and green onions . My squash, cucumbers, turnips , and brock, cabbage, rutabagas, and cauliflower ,should grow here but won't what is wrong , I have tried them from seeds , and plants. tomatoes will only grow inside on my porch where its warm year round . other wise I'm stuck . can you help.

I would not recommend growing asparagus in a bucket, they need room for the roots to grow deeply.  You can grow just a few plants in your garden as they do not take up a huge amount of space and will produce for many years if taken care of.

Do you fertilize your soil where you grow your veggies?  Soil needs to be amended and fertilized every year as the plants use us most of the nutrients in the soil every year.  Use a balanced organic fertilizer which includes nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium or add each separately.  .
I would also check to see what the ph is in your soil.  The veggies you listed like to have a ph of 6.2 to 6.9.

I hope I was able to help out and if you have any further questions please let me know.

Happy gardening,
Catherine Abbott  

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott

I am confident I can answer any questions about planting, growing and harvesting vegetables and culinary herbs. I am very knowledgeable and experienced in garden site planning and design, propagating, soil preparation, transplanting, pest control, disease management, watering, fertilizing, and composting.

I have been growing vegetables organically since 1993 first in my small backyard, then moving to a 2 acre plot where I grew vegetables for sale at our local farmers market and through a CSA (community shared agriculture). I started a popular website in 2007 and have answered questions from all over the world through that site. I have 3 published Everything series books on gardening as well as several self published books for sale on my website.

I volunteer and assist teaching disabled adults how to grow their own vegetable gardens. I have set up raised bed gardens in the front yards of their group homes and the gardens help to feed the households. I am very involved in our local farming community and am the treasurer and a garden mentor for a local society called One Straw, which promotes organic and sustainable practices for growing local food. I am a board of director for a government committee that is involved in keeping our ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) safe.

I have 3 published Everything series books: The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book published in 2010. The Everything Root Cellaring Book published in 2011. The Everything Small Space Gardening Book set to be published Jan 2012. I have 3 self published garden design books: Vegetable Garden Plans for your Raised Beds. Vegetable Garden Plans for Square Foot Gardening. Vegetable Garden Plans for Row Gardening. I have a self published book on soil building: Why is Soil so Important? Tips on Amending and Fertilizing I also publish a yearly journal promoting garden planning and planting by the moon cycles. The current one is called "My 2012 Vegetable Garden Journal" I write articles that are published at EzineArticles.

I teach gardening classes on propagating, pest and disease management, and soil fertility at our local community center. My education came from my mother, mentors, and growing my own gardens.

I write a monthly newsletter for my gardening website and send it to a email list of over 1200 gardeners. I write articles for EzineArticles. I have had numerous local clients through gardening classes and mentoring.