Growing Vegetables/Growing asparagus

I've planted several Jersey Giant asparagus crowns in good organic soil, expecting several shoots to emerge at roughly the same time, at which point I would cover w/ a couple more inches of soil, repeating the process until the trench was topped off, etc... but all crowns have produced just ONE shoot. As I was waiting for more shoots to emerge before adding soil, the existing ones grew too tall to cover.

QUESTION: How should I proceed? Should I go ahead and add more soil, expecting the crowns to eventually produce more shoots or do I clip the existing shoots to hopefully promote more shoots to grow now (THEN cover a few inches at a time)?

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner.  Asparagus plants usually only produce one or two shoots the first year of growth, a few more the second year and then are in full swing in the third year.  I would put more soil in the trench and each year mulch with aged manure or compost.  The one shoot that has come up can be left until it dies back naturally in late summer.  They are a beautiful addition to your garden.  Next year when they start producing asparagus shoots only cut the ones that are thicker than a pencil, let the others produce the fern like heads.  The third year you should be able to cut all the shoots that produce. Well tended asparagus plants will produce for up 15 years, enjoy.

I have attached a picture of asparagus plants in my first back yard garden.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Happy gardening,

Catherine Abbott  

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott

I am confident I can answer any questions about planting, growing and harvesting vegetables and culinary herbs. I am very knowledgeable and experienced in garden site planning and design, propagating, soil preparation, transplanting, pest control, disease management, watering, fertilizing, and composting.

I have been growing vegetables organically since 1993 first in my small backyard, then moving to a 2 acre plot where I grew vegetables for sale at our local farmers market and through a CSA (community shared agriculture). I started a popular website in 2007 and have answered questions from all over the world through that site. I have 3 published Everything series books on gardening as well as several self published books for sale on my website.

I volunteer and assist teaching disabled adults how to grow their own vegetable gardens. I have set up raised bed gardens in the front yards of their group homes and the gardens help to feed the households. I am very involved in our local farming community and am the treasurer and a garden mentor for a local society called One Straw, which promotes organic and sustainable practices for growing local food. I am a board of director for a government committee that is involved in keeping our ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) safe.

I have 3 published Everything series books: The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book published in 2010. The Everything Root Cellaring Book published in 2011. The Everything Small Space Gardening Book set to be published Jan 2012. I have 3 self published garden design books: Vegetable Garden Plans for your Raised Beds. Vegetable Garden Plans for Square Foot Gardening. Vegetable Garden Plans for Row Gardening. I have a self published book on soil building: Why is Soil so Important? Tips on Amending and Fertilizing I also publish a yearly journal promoting garden planning and planting by the moon cycles. The current one is called "My 2012 Vegetable Garden Journal" I write articles that are published at EzineArticles.

I teach gardening classes on propagating, pest and disease management, and soil fertility at our local community center. My education came from my mother, mentors, and growing my own gardens.

I write a monthly newsletter for my gardening website and send it to a email list of over 1200 gardeners. I write articles for EzineArticles. I have had numerous local clients through gardening classes and mentoring.