Growing Vegetables/Asparagus transplanting

Hi Catherine-

My Great-aunt is soon to be moved from her acreage to an assisted living center and the acreage will probably be sold at some time in the future.

She was an avid gardener in her younger days and I have permission to take some of her perennials and transplant them at my house. One plant that I have not figured out how to move is her asparagus patch. Instead of the pencil thin stuff I usually see, her's is the thickness of a magic marker so I would really like to move it to my place. Any ideas on how/what time of year to try to move it. Part of it is going to seed right now, do I collect them? The plants I see in store is like a bulb with spider legs, do I dig down and try to find these?

New asparagus roots take 3 years or more to produce large asparagus.  Your great-aunt probably planted the asparagus many years ago so they had years of growing to get the thickness that they were.  Older asparagus may not transplant very easily so do not be too disappointed if they all do not survive.

I would move the asparagus after the fern has died back in the fall.  Dig as much of the root as you can and make sure you have a well prepared bed ready for them to be put in.  Asparagus like aged manure so dig lots into the area you are going to transplant the asparagus to.

Keep your existing patch of asparagus growing and they will probably get larger over time as well.

Good luck.

Happy Gardening,

Catherine Abbott  

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott

I am confident I can answer any questions about planting, growing and harvesting vegetables and culinary herbs. I am very knowledgeable and experienced in garden site planning and design, propagating, soil preparation, transplanting, pest control, disease management, watering, fertilizing, and composting.

I have been growing vegetables organically since 1993 first in my small backyard, then moving to a 2 acre plot where I grew vegetables for sale at our local farmers market and through a CSA (community shared agriculture). I started a popular website in 2007 and have answered questions from all over the world through that site. I have 3 published Everything series books on gardening as well as several self published books for sale on my website.

I volunteer and assist teaching disabled adults how to grow their own vegetable gardens. I have set up raised bed gardens in the front yards of their group homes and the gardens help to feed the households. I am very involved in our local farming community and am the treasurer and a garden mentor for a local society called One Straw, which promotes organic and sustainable practices for growing local food. I am a board of director for a government committee that is involved in keeping our ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) safe.

I have 3 published Everything series books: The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book published in 2010. The Everything Root Cellaring Book published in 2011. The Everything Small Space Gardening Book set to be published Jan 2012. I have 3 self published garden design books: Vegetable Garden Plans for your Raised Beds. Vegetable Garden Plans for Square Foot Gardening. Vegetable Garden Plans for Row Gardening. I have a self published book on soil building: Why is Soil so Important? Tips on Amending and Fertilizing I also publish a yearly journal promoting garden planning and planting by the moon cycles. The current one is called "My 2012 Vegetable Garden Journal" I write articles that are published at EzineArticles.

I teach gardening classes on propagating, pest and disease management, and soil fertility at our local community center. My education came from my mother, mentors, and growing my own gardens.

I write a monthly newsletter for my gardening website and send it to a email list of over 1200 gardeners. I write articles for EzineArticles. I have had numerous local clients through gardening classes and mentoring.