Growing Vegetables/yellow squash

I have been growing yellow straightneck squash for many years. This year some/most of them have green markings on the outside. Can you tell me what causes this? Could it be a lack of nutrients in the soil? These were bought as bedding plants.

Hi Paul,

I do not think it is caused by anything in the soil, since you bought them as bedding plants my thought is the variety of straightneck squash is different than what you have purchased in the past.  New varieties are always being produced so my thinking is you have a variety that has green on them.  Squash varieties can easily be cross pollinated if different varietes are grown within a few hundred feet of each other, so it is important to get seeds that are harvested properly.  You can check back with whoever you purchased from to see what seeds were actually planted if you are concerned.  

Unless you are growing for show, so long as the squash is tasty the markings should not make any difference.

Hope this helps,
Catherine Abbott

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott

I am confident I can answer any questions about planting, growing and harvesting vegetables and culinary herbs. I am very knowledgeable and experienced in garden site planning and design, propagating, soil preparation, transplanting, pest control, disease management, watering, fertilizing, and composting.

I have been growing vegetables organically since 1993 first in my small backyard, then moving to a 2 acre plot where I grew vegetables for sale at our local farmers market and through a CSA (community shared agriculture). I started a popular website in 2007 and have answered questions from all over the world through that site. I have 3 published Everything series books on gardening as well as several self published books for sale on my website.

I volunteer and assist teaching disabled adults how to grow their own vegetable gardens. I have set up raised bed gardens in the front yards of their group homes and the gardens help to feed the households. I am very involved in our local farming community and am the treasurer and a garden mentor for a local society called One Straw, which promotes organic and sustainable practices for growing local food. I am a board of director for a government committee that is involved in keeping our ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) safe.

I have 3 published Everything series books: The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book published in 2010. The Everything Root Cellaring Book published in 2011. The Everything Small Space Gardening Book set to be published Jan 2012. I have 3 self published garden design books: Vegetable Garden Plans for your Raised Beds. Vegetable Garden Plans for Square Foot Gardening. Vegetable Garden Plans for Row Gardening. I have a self published book on soil building: Why is Soil so Important? Tips on Amending and Fertilizing I also publish a yearly journal promoting garden planning and planting by the moon cycles. The current one is called "My 2012 Vegetable Garden Journal" I write articles that are published at EzineArticles.

I teach gardening classes on propagating, pest and disease management, and soil fertility at our local community center. My education came from my mother, mentors, and growing my own gardens.

I write a monthly newsletter for my gardening website and send it to a email list of over 1200 gardeners. I write articles for EzineArticles. I have had numerous local clients through gardening classes and mentoring.