Growing Vegetables/winter gardening.

Question
Hello.  I live where it is hot all year.  It is very humid in the summer but dries out a bit in the winter.  Temperatures are usually in the 80's throughout the winter- no frost.  Will summer vegetables grow in winter in this climate?  Is it better to wait till after the winter solstice so days are getting longer (can plants tell?)  In the past I've kept basil straggling along- it always waits till summer to take off.  I'm wondering if it's worth trying some other things like summer squash and tomatoes?
Thank you for your time.  Much appreciated.

Answer
Elizabeth,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Plants definitely know what season it is.  Summer veggies need 6 to 8 hours of sunlight to grow their best, that is why they often go dormant-like in the winter months even if the temperature is high, then start growing in Feb or March when the days start to get longer.

I am not sure where you live however I would suggest experimenting with a few plants of squash and tomatoes to see how they fair, but they will probably grow much slower than the summer season so do not have too high expectations.  Greens, kale, chard, and winter broccoli seem to grow fairly well in the north west during the winter months so you could try some of these as well to see how they do in your climate (if you like to eat these kind veggies).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Catherine
www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com  

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott