Growing Vegetables/winterizing`

Question
I've noticed around that some people cover their veggy gardens with a black covering.Is this something that will help.Also will it help against blight on tomatoes i get every year.Or is their anything that will. I grow mainly beefsteaks.I have a composter and just emptied a batch in the garden.Someone said i can "burn" it out by covering it during warm months but hey, i live
in upstate ny.Thats kinda hard

any ideas to get my garden kickstarted and blight free in 2015.

thanks  will

Answer
Hi Will,
In my experience the two ways to prevent tomato blight is to rotate where you plant your tomatoes, (not planting them in the same area for 3 years), and protecting the leaves from getting wet.  I grow my tomatoes in a plastic greenhouse/cold frame.  

Blight can live in the soil for up to 3 years that is why rotation is key.  In my experience you cannot "burn out" blight from the soil.

If you do not have another space to plant your tomatoes I would suggest planting them in containers for a year or two so the blight in the soil will die off.  Please check out info on crop rotation at http://http://www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com/crop-rotation.html

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Catherine
www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott