Growing Vegetables/Broccoli water-repellant

Question
Dear Catherine,
Is it natural for broccoli to be water-repellant? Or is it because of chemical sprayed on it?

Answer
If you are talking about when a broccoli plant is forming heads in the garden then yes water will not harm the broccoli head.  Water will naturally fall off the head and the sun or wind will dry it, the shape allows the water to drain quickly.  When watering make sure you water the plant at the base because overhead watering will only hit the leaves and never reach the roots.  

Once the heads have been harvested you want to keep the heads cold (pack the heads on ice is best) this will keep the broccoli lasting longer.

I hope this answers your question, if you have any others please let me know.

Catherine
www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott