Growing Vegetables/Pine needles

Hi Mike-

In my garden I have 2'X 8'rows (approx. width of my tiller)with walkways between them that is just hard dirt that never gets tilled. I still have weeds that grow up through these dirt paths which I hoe then more weed seeds germinate. I had a large pine tree that died and was cut down and have a large pile of pine needles. Could I use this as "mulch" on my walkways? I know I shouldn't use it right by the plants but how about 6" away where the paths are?

My only concern is the high acidity that will leech into the soil as the needles break down. However, you can counter this by adding lime on the edges closer to the plants. I would also recommend purchasing a pH test kit and periodically test the soil. As long as the pH stays between 6.5 and 7.0, you should be fine.

Good luck, and have a great week.

Growing Vegetables

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.