Growing Vegetables/Summer Squash

Squash Yellow & Greenish
Squash Yellow & Greeni  
Hello! I am harvesting summer yellow squash, which is planted in the row across (not next to) zucchini. The same yellow squash plant has yellow & greenish squash about the same size & maturity. Taste is about the same. I was wondering if these could possibly be cross-pollinating, or if there is a particular something about the yellow squash that makes it take on a greenish color. Attached is photo of several squash & after cut for cooking. Any info would be appreciated, as I would have thought if cross-pollinating, it would take on more of the zucchini look than being light green. Notice the shape & texture is the same as the yellow. Tks again! Look forward to hearing from you.

Holly, different varieties of squash, including zucchini, should be planted 50 feet apart.  Otherwise, there is a good probability that there may be some cross-pollination.  Much depends on the varieties, but I would not take the chance.

Keep in mind, however, that yellow squash normally takes on a green tint or green stripes when immature.  The green eventually vanishes, resulting in a full yellow coloring.

I would not be too disappointed since the squash usually will still maintain it's taste.  In other words, I would enjoy the harvest this year, and next year be sure to keep them separated.

I hope this information helps.  Please write again if I can ever be of assistance.

Growing Vegetables

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.