Growing Vegetables/Storing Sweet Potatoes

I'm lost as to how to cure my sweet potatoes which I grow in containers on the porch of my apartment. The web advice I've come across says to keep them in a heated room with a fan blowing after harvest at a high temp, but I won't be able to do that. It's not like I'll have tons of potatoes to harvest, maybe only 35lbs. If I just lay them out to be sundried for 10 days or so will that do? I keep wondering how the ancients cured their potatoes if they ever did at all? I've read that potatoes get sweeter with curing & that's what I'm after. Any suggestions?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was traveling. Congrats on growing sweet potatoes on your porch.  I would love to know more about how you did it.

I have never grown enough sweet potatoes to store for any length of time, however I have stored regular potatoes and I they need very similar conditions.  I would let them dry in the sun for a day or two, not necessarily really hot sun, just so they they are warm. Then store at room temperature in dark area, in burlap sacks or slotted crates that are not stacked, make sure there is good circulation around the sack or box.

I hope this helps to let you decide what is best.  just check on them every week or so.

Your Vegetable Gardeing helper

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott

I am confident I can answer any questions about planting, growing and harvesting vegetables and culinary herbs. I am very knowledgeable and experienced in garden site planning and design, propagating, soil preparation, transplanting, pest control, disease management, watering, fertilizing, and composting.

I have been growing vegetables organically since 1993 first in my small backyard, then moving to a 2 acre plot where I grew vegetables for sale at our local farmers market and through a CSA (community shared agriculture). I started a popular website in 2007 and have answered questions from all over the world through that site. I have 3 published Everything series books on gardening as well as several self published books for sale on my website.

I volunteer and assist teaching disabled adults how to grow their own vegetable gardens. I have set up raised bed gardens in the front yards of their group homes and the gardens help to feed the households. I am very involved in our local farming community and am the treasurer and a garden mentor for a local society called One Straw, which promotes organic and sustainable practices for growing local food. I am a board of director for a government committee that is involved in keeping our ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) safe.

I have 3 published Everything series books: The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book published in 2010. The Everything Root Cellaring Book published in 2011. The Everything Small Space Gardening Book set to be published Jan 2012. I have 3 self published garden design books: Vegetable Garden Plans for your Raised Beds. Vegetable Garden Plans for Square Foot Gardening. Vegetable Garden Plans for Row Gardening. I have a self published book on soil building: Why is Soil so Important? Tips on Amending and Fertilizing I also publish a yearly journal promoting garden planning and planting by the moon cycles. The current one is called "My 2012 Vegetable Garden Journal" I write articles that are published at EzineArticles.

I teach gardening classes on propagating, pest and disease management, and soil fertility at our local community center. My education came from my mother, mentors, and growing my own gardens.

I write a monthly newsletter for my gardening website and send it to a email list of over 1200 gardeners. I write articles for EzineArticles. I have had numerous local clients through gardening classes and mentoring.