Growing Vegetables/Growing vegetables

Question
I'm new to gardening and have taken over an allotment that has been abandoned for some time.

At this moment I've started to grow potatoes. I've heard that    spraying the leaves of the plant or watering it with molasses and water can aid the plant and soil. Is this true? Thank you.

Answer
Andrew,

I have never used molasses in my water when growing vegetables, so I do not know if it would work or not.  I feed my soil using organic fertilizers and amendments.  I dig or till these in just before planting.  Make sure the fertilizer has a combination of nitrogen (N) phosphorus (P) and potassium (K), and possibly lime depending on your soil type and what you are planting.  Amendments are such things a aged manures, peat moss if the soil is clay, compost.  

Gardening is about experimenting with your soil, climate, what grows best etc till you find what works best for you.  There are a lot of "old wives tales" that may or may not work.  You can try the molasses on a small section of your garden if you want and see if there is a difference with the other plants.  I would love to hear what happens if you try it out.  

I have lots of soil fertilizing info and tips on my website.  www.your-vegetable-gardening-helper.com

Happy Gardening,
Catherine
your vegetable gardening helper

Growing Vegetables

Catherine Abbott