Guatemala/trip planning

Question
my husband and I are planning a 12 day trip to Guatemala in December.

We would fly in and spend 2-3 days in Antigua, then a few days in the Lake Atitlan area, then return to the airport and fly to Tikal for some days.

Does that sound doable?  Where should we stay near/around Lake Atitlan (which city/village)
Where do you stay when you go to Tikal.

Is 2-3 days too much for Antigua.  Is there anything else we must see in our 12 days?
Any other advice?

Answer
HI Fay,

Yes it is very doable...
In Antigua you could arrive in the evening spend a day and half to visit then go to Atitlan..
In Atitlan you can spend a couple of days depending your interests... visit also the village of Chichicastenango..
Then go back to Guatemala city and fly to Peten and spend 2 days , one night in Tikal..
In Tikal I recommend to stay at Hotel Jungle Lodge or I staid on the Flores Island at La Casona de la Isla 2 nights
as it takes a full day to do Tikal..
The distance between Guatemala city and Antigua is 50 kms and you do it in 1 hour with normal traffic
and from Antigua to Lake Atitlan 2 1/2 hours .. Atitlan - Guatemala city 2 1/2 hours..
And from Flores (Peten) to Tikal site 45 minutes..
You might want to hike Volcano Pacaya close to Guatemala city or San Pedro in Lake Atitlan.
You could also from Lake Atitlan do in one way a visit to the hot spring of Quetzaltenango and see the city and back to the lake
it is at 1 h 45 minutes..

Let me know if it helps
Best
Armand  

Guatemala

Armand Boissy