Guatemala/buying a car in Guatemala

Question
My fiancee is being deported from the US, back to Guatemala, his homeland.  At some point in the next year, I will be joining him.

After reading through the extensive posts here, I understand that bringing his and my own items into the country is probably cost-prohibitive and most likely would be better (financially) to just buy it once we are there.  

I am trying to put together a budget and save the most money I can while I am here in the states to be able to afford those items once I am there.  I am a teacher here and would likely become a teacher there, and am researching all I can about the schools there.  But I am still worried about being able to afford living there.

In terms of buying a car in Guatemala, about how much does it cost to buy and register a used car?  How much is insurance?  What are some other incidentals I might encounter?

Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi Kim,
Yes it is much more interesting to buy a used one here than going through the importacion process..
Plus a car more than 10 years old you can import it..
No to buy a car if you know about mecanics you could check the classified of Prensa Libre and find good cars.. but it is from owner to buyer.
You could check also the major brand and see with their used car lot.. you can find good deal..
http://www.usadosdeagencia.com/site/
for example..
For insurance you can check this site yayaseguros.com

Insurance come most of the time with help on the road...
If you go through a dealership you won't have much problems.. if you buy on the street (classified ) better to get a mechanic to help you
check the car..

I hope it helps you

Best
Armand

Guatemala

Armand Boissy