Guatemala/Children at US Border

Are US media exaggerating about children being so universally subjected to violence in Guatemala that they are willing to risk the journey north?  Are they that desperate?  I was in Guatemala several times during the so-called Civil War, and observed a great difference between media reports and reality.  If you read US papers, or see cable news, how does their coverage compare with what you see on site?

Hi Frank,

You have 2 kinds of children the one from the rural areas and the one from the urban areas..
The one in the rural areas are generally not well educated, poor school infrastructure, bad teachers, (not all but the majority), but they are in a traditional family environment where they are protected in a way from the consumer society.. but in these families you have a lot of violence, incest....
Now the one in the urban areas are divided betweeen the wealthy kids that are desesperate to get a US  post university education and can travel easely. The one from the middle class that if they are in a good network will find work but often very good young professionals are not able to find good working opportunities and part of them are willing to migrate North.. and finally you have the ones from the suburb with a constant risk of getting involved in the gangs (and they are numerous)  and for these families yes there is more hope North than staying in Guatemala. There is a tremendous lack of jobs for the youth and half of the population is under 25 so you can imagine the pressure... In a way for some of them yes they are desesperate for a better future
Let me know if I helped you

Armand Boissy

All questions related to real estate for Guatemala particularly in the area of Lake Atitlan. Invesment for retirment, rental, buildings, regulations,.... I live in Santa Cruz La Laguna, 15 minutes boat ride from Panajachel where I work. I have 2 little daughters (5-7) who go to Life school everyday. So if you need help to relocate or for a short experience in the lake area don't hesitate. Also I'm an official tour guide for the Guatemalan Institut for tourism (INGUAT) and I have an extensive experience of the country.

Living in the area for 18 years, a company Atitlan Solutions founded 2 1/2 years ago,experience in building private home, condos, hotel

Real Estate Chamber of Guatemala

Washington Post Magazin

Master in Polical Sciences From France