Guatemala/Guatemala Trip

Hi Armand,  I have been to Guatemala twice but a ago.  Most recent trip was probably 12 years ago.  My daughter is graduating HS and I want to show her the beauty and culture on a short trip 5 days or so.  My question is:  Is it safe to rent a car and drive from Guatemala City (day time of course) to Antigua and then on to Panahachel?  My first trip I took the chicken buses and the second trip rented a car.  Also do you have hotel and tour recommendations for those spots.  Ideally, would like to do a boat trip in Atitlan, city visit in Antigua and perhaps some ruins along the way.

Please advise,

Hi Ian

Yes it is safe to rent and drive around..
Very easy from Guatemala to ANtigua .. double divided lane
and from Antigua Panajachel as well as almost 80% of the trip.
For Antigua for tours check with Isabel Bell and Finca Filadelfia is a great place to visit
Also breakfast at Santo Domingo Cerro de la Cruz. open air museum great views.. and if you like golf visit La Reunion Golf resort great views as well.. 20 minutes from Antigua
Then on the way to Atitlan you can visit Iximche
Then to Lake Atitlan , in Panajachel I like Hotel Dos Mundos.central, parking pool, if you want something more private you can rent a vacation homes.. we have several ones . On the lake check with tours they are very professional and knowledgable .
Also if you have a smartphone with a local chip you can get internet for the time being and be able to hook up to waze .. very helpful to drive in the city but between Antigua and Pana no problem no many roads.. and chance to get lost

Armand Boissy

All questions related to real estate for Guatemala particularly in the area of Lake Atitlan. Invesment for retirment, rental, buildings, regulations,.... I live in Santa Cruz La Laguna, 15 minutes boat ride from Panajachel where I work. I have 2 little daughters (5-7) who go to Life school everyday. So if you need help to relocate or for a short experience in the lake area don't hesitate. Also I'm an official tour guide for the Guatemalan Institut for tourism (INGUAT) and I have an extensive experience of the country.

Living in the area for 18 years, a company Atitlan Solutions founded 2 1/2 years ago,experience in building private home, condos, hotel

Real Estate Chamber of Guatemala

Washington Post Magazin

Master in Polical Sciences From France