Guinea Pigs/crazy boy piggies!

Piggie lover wrote at 2008-03-05 04:28:29
I got a female piggy for our male as a companion.  They are separated and he emits a stinky smell overtime he does, what we call his "I love you" dance.  It does have a strong smell and will dissipate.  Before our female my friend would bring over her male to have a play day with ours.  They would both do the "love dance" and stink up the living room trying to mount each other.  Neither was near a female and both were young and overly excited to see another piggy.  No worries, other friends with piggies have had the same behavior, it's natures way of continuing the race, even if they get it wrong sometimes.

karen wrote at 2008-04-16 02:17:33
hi melissasue and laura,

i was going to come on and post a question, however, upon reading this, it was pretty much answered.  thank you!

melissasue, i have to say that my two male guinea pigs act the exact same way!!!  the whole "mating dance" and everything!  they will both try to mate with eachother, but only one of them does the whole rumbling noises and swinging his bottom back-and-forth!  i guess maybe he is the more dominant one.  as strange as it is i must say that it is pretty darn cute!

anyway, just thought i would say hello and share with you that my piggies do the same thing!

have a great day!

Julie wrote at 2008-09-04 23:02:42
This is absolutely normal! You're right that it is a dominance dance of sorts. Mounting in the animal kingdom often signifies dominance. That's why you'll see female dogs mount males, even when they're spayed. They're just letting the male know who's in charge.

Rest assured the behavior doesn't last forever. I had one GP for about 3 months, and then decided to get a friend for him. The exact same thing happened, but by the end of the week they had sorted out who was boss. They haven't mounted each other since and I've had them together for over a year now.

When you first introduce them, they will try to mount each other, but to cut down on amount of dominance from the older male - next time you put them together, do it outside of the cage. Just section of an area of the floor, and let them meet that way. Then when you put them back in the cage, put in the younger GP first. That will make the older GP not feel so territorial.

As far as the smell goes, GP males will give off an odor when they are marking their territory. Whenever I clean my cage, they always go stinking it up again. Same with my carpet for play time! *sigh*

But they're so sweet, they're worth it.  

Squarepeg77 wrote at 2011-08-20 23:28:29
I have 5 male guinea pigs, what you described is quite common,If you keep persisting and let them play together for only a few minutes at a time,say 20 at most, then keep them living separate,they eventually agree who is in what dominance rank and finally just play together for a good hour or so without trying to mount each other,They still occasionally rumble at each other or give a quick back leg side kick, the smell however with 5 boys is quite pungent! like a strong mature cheese,some of this is due to the gland getting blocked as their rump gets quite greasy after play.I use mite powder to de-grease their rumps and also bathe them every week or two.If you persist in this shorter greeting method it will take about 6 months for them to stop mounting but its well worth the perseverance for the fun play.I  know this post was a while ago but wanted to help anyone who may follow the link.  

piggiewig wrote at 2013-05-24 21:16:55
Ah this was all new to me when I got my piggies. The rump glands get blocked real easy don't they, I think this is a very important part of hygiene/care that must be stressed when caring for piggies, so thx for the thead, x

Guinea Pigs

I am a trainee veterinary nurse and am confident in answering queries related to the general health and wellbeing of guinea pigs. Iím also able to advise on safe medication, proper nutrition, and behavioral issues. I can let you know what you need to discuss with and expect from your vet when taking your guinea pig for a visit. I have worked in an exotiques petshop and can recommend the best and newest products suitable for your guinea pig. Iíve also been involved in a small cavy stud and have knowledge in the breeding and showing of the rarer types of guinea pig. I have completed regular volunteer work with a cavy rescue organization and can offer advice on emergency home care and rehabilitation. In addition, I have kept my own guinea pigs for some years and can answer questions on most aspects of the general maintenance, the everyday care, and the requirements for a happy and healthy little pet. I also know what a comfort it can be to have an understanding and supportive fellow pig-lover to chat to when times get tough.

I am currently studying to gain a Veterinary Nursing qualification. I have also worked inan Exotiques petshop where I was in charge of the guinea pigs and other rodents. I have completed regular volunteer work with a local cavy rescue organization, which rehabilitates and rehomes abused or unwanted guinea pigs. I've also been involved in a small cavy stud, which breeds and shows some of the rarer types of guinea pigs.

IIn I graduated from High School with Honours in Biology, and am currently studying a degree in Animal Science.