Guinea Pigs/is grass a safe and good treat?

Mm. wrote at 2009-01-09 21:56:55
Yes, they really LOVE grass. You could pick them out of your yard/garden, or go to your local pet store or supermarket and buy timothy hay!

For Pup's Sake wrote at 2012-06-20 19:20:00
You may also want to try holding your guinea pig in a towel for awhile, until he becomes comfortable with you... it also helps train them not to use the bathroom while you are holding them... My guinea pig can be out for an hour before he uses the bathroom :)

hulk wrote at 2012-10-16 12:57:08
I am from Mumbai, India and have no idea where to get hay. My guinea pig has been on a diet of fresh grass from a nearby hill all his life and he is very healthy.

Additionally he eats a sliver of capsicum [rich in Vit C], some coriander and an occasional peel of banana..loves that.

I have been introducing him to some pellet food as well as he needs to get used to that for the next few months when grass will not be available.  

allisa wrote at 2013-02-11 16:26:16
Instead of giving the guinea pig grass there's actually grass hay that you can give it. Oh if you try to grab it with gloves it won't be a problem.

Guinea Pigs

Jenny Atkins

If your guinea pig has stopped eating, is having fits, looks puffed up or listless, is bleeding, has lost weight suddenly or is squeaking in pain then please, do not delay in taking him/her to a vet. Preferably a specialist small animal or exotic pet vet, but don't worry if you can't find one. If you suspect your guinea pig is pregnant, has mites, is losing hair or you have a question about diet, cages, toys, exercise etc then look at my past answers before you ask your question, as it may save you time. Otherwise, go ahead and ask me a question! My areas of expertise are in how to choose your guinea pigs, where to get them from and what you need before you bring your new pets home. I can also help with general care and dietary questions, with treating common illnesses (especially skin complaints), pregnancy and baby guinea pigs (though I do not approve of purposeful 'at home' breeding), and how to introduce two males. I'd recommend The Really Useful Guinea Pig Guide by Myra Mahoney and Piggy Potions by Peter Gurney to all guinea pig owners - these books will tell you everything you need to know to ensure your guinea pigs have happy and healthy lives. I practically memorised these before I was allowed my first guinea pigs as a teenager!

I absolutely love guinea pigs, and I think they make brilliant pets for the right owners. They are incredibly sociable animals and should always be kept in pairs, or a larger group (females only). If you spend lots of time with your guinea pigs, they will become very tame and friendly little creatures. I am very much a pet owner, and provide answers based on my personal experiences with my pet piggies, and what I've learned from books along the way. I'm not a breeder or a vet, so I can't answer questions about breeding, breeds or complicated illnesses. I have kept both boars and sows, and have had my share of unexpected newborns in the early days. I've had a total of 11 guinea pigs over the years - all adorable in their own way - including my current two boars (Almeida and Simba) whose cage has pride of place in my living room. When you have guinea pigs you learn something new about them every day!

2:1 Honours Degree in Creative Arts with English