Guinea Pigs/What age do baby guinea pigs get weaned?

Seth wrote at 2009-10-20 20:17:41
My guinea pigs have lived outside year round with no trouble. I built a 7ftx4ftx2ftx box out of plywood that stands 7ft high with 5 floors. Each floor has a ramp to the next floor that I can raise to separate out that floor when I want to separate a pregnant female. I cut a 4in hole in the side of the cage near the bottom so that my guinea pigs could come and go as they please. I put doors on the front of the unit and covered them with screen on one side so that during the summer the unit can get air to keep it cool. In the winter I slide plexi glass over the doors so that the wind can't get in. I have a wooden house on each floor and water bottles. In the winter the water battles freeze but I just take them in and thow them out. I've never had guinea pigs get frost byte or show signs of stress. I live in Colorado so our summer is around 80-100F and in the winter it sometimes gets down to 20F for a day or two.

Athena wrote at 2013-02-25 20:20:34
ok i  have 23 guinea pigs (they are a herd) i have had 2 herds in my life the first one had 34 guinea pigs in it and now 23 i have kept them out side for 12 years i know how to keep them cool and warm i very much recommend you keep your pigs OUTSIDE!!!! they will be more commutable because of there wild background for the summer get 10 ice packs at the store i get them at wall-greens put 1 of them in your guinea pigs cage once melted wash it of with soap and water and put it in the freezer (repeat on hot days) for winter 2 get the soft kind of Timothy hay (you can get it at pet co for 5 bucks) a old small tall and a small animal plastic igloo put the hay in side of the igloo then put the tall over the igloo and entrance leave a little room for air to get in place your guinea pig inside. hope it helped! thanks

Guinea Pigs

Jenny Atkins

If your guinea pig has stopped eating, is having fits, looks puffed up or listless, is bleeding, has lost weight suddenly or is squeaking in pain then please, do not delay in taking him/her to a vet. Preferably a specialist small animal or exotic pet vet, but don't worry if you can't find one. If you suspect your guinea pig is pregnant, has mites, is losing hair or you have a question about diet, cages, toys, exercise etc then look at my past answers before you ask your question, as it may save you time. Otherwise, go ahead and ask me a question! My areas of expertise are in how to choose your guinea pigs, where to get them from and what you need before you bring your new pets home. I can also help with general care and dietary questions, with treating common illnesses (especially skin complaints), pregnancy and baby guinea pigs (though I do not approve of purposeful 'at home' breeding), and how to introduce two males. I'd recommend The Really Useful Guinea Pig Guide by Myra Mahoney and Piggy Potions by Peter Gurney to all guinea pig owners - these books will tell you everything you need to know to ensure your guinea pigs have happy and healthy lives. I practically memorised these before I was allowed my first guinea pigs as a teenager!

I absolutely love guinea pigs, and I think they make brilliant pets for the right owners. They are incredibly sociable animals and should always be kept in pairs, or a larger group (females only). If you spend lots of time with your guinea pigs, they will become very tame and friendly little creatures. I am very much a pet owner, and provide answers based on my personal experiences with my pet piggies, and what I've learned from books along the way. I'm not a breeder or a vet, so I can't answer questions about breeding, breeds or complicated illnesses. I have kept both boars and sows, and have had my share of unexpected newborns in the early days. I've had a total of 11 guinea pigs over the years - all adorable in their own way - including my current two boars (Almeida and Simba) whose cage has pride of place in my living room. When you have guinea pigs you learn something new about them every day!

2:1 Honours Degree in Creative Arts with English