Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig bully

Maddy wrote at 2013-04-14 19:37:29
I suggest putting the piggys back together in the same cage before you try getting a new pig as they may get used to eachother. Floor time is very important, make sure you get the pigys out of their regular cage and letting them run in a bigger space than usual. also try getting them a little house each so they have their own personal space. I have 5 guinea pigs and sometimes they do nip eachother. The main reason is probably that their cage is too small or they are not both female. to check if they are male or femail is to poke their belly and if its a famale its wil say exactly the same amd if its not then its privates will pop out. It might sound gross but its worth a shot!

Hope this helps you and if they carry on fighting separate them.

Guinea Pigs

Jenny Atkins

If your guinea pig has stopped eating, is having fits, looks puffed up or listless, is bleeding, has lost weight suddenly or is squeaking in pain then please, do not delay in taking him/her to a vet. Preferably a specialist small animal or exotic pet vet, but don't worry if you can't find one. If you suspect your guinea pig is pregnant, has mites, is losing hair or you have a question about diet, cages, toys, exercise etc then look at my past answers before you ask your question, as it may save you time. Otherwise, go ahead and ask me a question! My areas of expertise are in how to choose your guinea pigs, where to get them from and what you need before you bring your new pets home. I can also help with general care and dietary questions, with treating common illnesses (especially skin complaints), pregnancy and baby guinea pigs (though I do not approve of purposeful 'at home' breeding), and how to introduce two males. I'd recommend The Really Useful Guinea Pig Guide by Myra Mahoney and Piggy Potions by Peter Gurney to all guinea pig owners - these books will tell you everything you need to know to ensure your guinea pigs have happy and healthy lives. I practically memorised these before I was allowed my first guinea pigs as a teenager!

I absolutely love guinea pigs, and I think they make brilliant pets for the right owners. They are incredibly sociable animals and should always be kept in pairs, or a larger group (females only). If you spend lots of time with your guinea pigs, they will become very tame and friendly little creatures. I am very much a pet owner, and provide answers based on my personal experiences with my pet piggies, and what I've learned from books along the way. I'm not a breeder or a vet, so I can't answer questions about breeding, breeds or complicated illnesses. I have kept both boars and sows, and have had my share of unexpected newborns in the early days. I've had a total of 11 guinea pigs over the years - all adorable in their own way - including my current two boars (Almeida and Simba) whose cage has pride of place in my living room. When you have guinea pigs you learn something new about them every day!

2:1 Honours Degree in Creative Arts with English