Guinea Pigs/Agressive Guinea Pig

Princesskez wrote at 2010-02-25 14:12:11
Hi there Christine, I am not a expert but i have had 4 guinea pigs and have always been able to train them. Recently i got two more skittles and malteaser, skittles is a corenet and malteaser is a sheltie. The shelties are naturally chilled while the corenet tends to me inquisative and alert. I havent had a aggresive one before but skit started to bite me when ever he was held and like cookie went for my hair.

When guinea pigs are in new surrounding they do tend to find their natural pack order, who is boss etc etc, skittles even bite malteasers at one point and made him bleed alot. He doesnt do that anymore though when he did i would gently blow in his face or tap him on the nose ( gentlyyy of course!) an give him a firm 'no' command. He doesnt do that with me anymore, he does with my dad though and my brother but i think that is because they dont hold him as much. It could be a fear thing or a dominance thing with cookie.

Both my boys are very different and do behave in certain ways when they want certian things, it might even be that cookie is hungry when he does bite. Skittles does not actually bite me now but might sniff around and put his teeth on me when he is looking for food. If my mum holds him and he needs the toilet he will nip her if hes getting desperate.

I hope this helps... guinea pigs are not aggressive creatures really and there is probably a reason for him bitin you. I do understand how you feel as we were considering returning skittles also.

kez  

Catsruby wrote at 2011-01-07 02:48:13
Let me tell you you are the rudest and most unexperienced person I have read yet. I am having the same problems with my female and we have never tried to discipline her but I HAVE HAD ENOUGH and so had my FIVE YEAR OLD daughter and we DO NOT LIKE THIS BEHAVIOR.We did not buy a pet to be abused by it.She asked for help for her childrens sake and you scold her for not wanting her children hurt.Get another hobby  

Bm wrote at 2014-12-17 08:17:30
Agree with catsurby. Your reply was rude, presumptuous and useless. It was also quite wrong. Guinea pigs are not normally aggressive animals and to be attacked so frequently is unusual. Your reply missed the point.  

gracie wrote at 2016-05-24 23:26:19
This has been the best advice I've encountered.  I too was concerned about my piggie having an attuide,  but little does he know it makes me love him 10x more.  He has a condo for his cage but I'm working on him not bitting and being mean.  He isn't always mean but he is most of the time.  It's nice to read solutions that r helpful.  I do want to get a roommate for him but I'm a fair he will be aggressive towards him.  All other piggies I've seen are very cuddly and sweet,  totally different from gus,  thats where I worry putting another n his cage.  Can he be solo and be okay??

Guinea Pigs

Jenny Atkins