Guinea Pigs/Are we overdoing it?

We haveth had our guinea pig for about a month. She is very fond of lettuce. If she hears the refrigerator door opening or rustling in the kitchen, she will stand by the door of her cage and look at as hopefully and squeak imploringly. When we give her some lettuce, she does a little dance of joy and gobbles it right down. How much lettuce is too much? The information we have found on the internet and in books is somewhat confusing. She has a good appetite and eats plenty of her pellets. She also gets a small amount of mixed greens several times a day.

Thank you!

well as long as it is not iceberg lettuce then in theory as much as she can eat. if her stools start seeminging a little loose then cut back, but otherwise feed her all that she wants, mine live almost entirely off grass and are very fit and healthy, lettuce shoul not be that much more rich or watery. just avoid iceburg and you will be fine.

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.