Guinea Pigs/Active Piggy

I have had 3 new skinny pigs in the past 2 years (unfortunately the first one died) but all have had VERY different personalities. I got my last male hoping he would be a companion to my already existing male who seemed quite mellow, although not entirely trusting. Well unfortunately this match didn't work out so they are now housed separately. My last guy is very active, seems happy but jumps a lot when touched. I have treated him for mites in the past so I don't think that is an issue, and he actually runs up to, across and up and down everyone in the family on his outings so I don't think fear is an issue. He is however, obsessed with finding the other male to have a good rumble strut so I wonder if he thinks our touches are from the other pig (even when I start at the face so he can see it coming).  We do allow them together occasionally in a mutual location but it is just rumble strutting and chattering and my other pig just wants to be left alone. My question is basically if he will ever "chill" and stop being so obsessed with my other pig. At what ages do pigs normally mellow?

Boars will behave like boars until they die, so don't expect either of them to mellow to the point they will get along. They're hard wired with hormones that tell them any other male is a challenge and should be fought with to prove their manhood.

Some pigs are just jumpy more than others. I've got a few like that myself. One way I've found that calms them a bit is to hold them on their back. That seems to settle them down and stop the wiggles and jiggles that can cause them to leap right out of your arms. Judges on the judging tables will do that and it nearly always works.

Another thing that helps is a warm bath. Again just dip the pig gently in on his back, supporting him so he can't fall or roll over. Hold him there for a minute or two. The warm water is soothing and has a calming affect as well.

As for the 'age of mellowing' I honestly don't know. None of mine have ever reached it!  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.