Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig is sick and not eating or drinking..

So I have a male about 2year old guinea pig named Mozart. He wasn't acting like himself so I took him to the vet  Friday and he said it looked like a GI problem. He gave me tribrissen (which is Baytril I think) and told me to give him yogurt too with baby food. So I have been feeding him green bean baby food with his antibiotic. I also give him water. He was a big 2.5 pounds and now my poor baby is only 1.8 pounds. :( I love him so much and only want to help him. He seems tired, but it breathing fine. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. How much should I feed him and give him water? Also, I was wondering if I could give him watered down Gatorade to help him keep hydrated. Thank you so much in advance.

I'm so sorry to hear your pig is ill. Baytril is the best choice of antibiotics but you still need to give him some probiotics to help prevent the Baytril from destroying the good bacteria along with the bad. You can get that any any pet store or feed store. Yogurt is also a good probiotic and that's why the vet recommended it. If he's taking it okay that's great, but if he refuses to eat it you may need something more.

For hydration the best thing is lettuce. Pigs love it and it's a good way to keep all the fluid in him you can. Iceberg lettuce is the best form of hydration because it basically has no nutritional value but it carries a great deal of water.  The Gatorade is fine as well.  Don't worry about how much you're giving him, let him have all he will take.  Same with feed. Just keep the bowl full of food and available whenever he wants it.

Melons are another favorite of many pigs and again, they contain a great deal of water. The weight loss is concerning. If you can get some Critical Care that may help. It's like Ensure for animals. I've also used baby formula as a good substitute as well.  Dilute it with water and put it in the water bottle. Don't replace the water bottle, just hang an extra one with the formula in it.

I've raised babies on it and they went nuts over the milk in the bottle. I had one week old babies who lost their mom so I put them in with the dad just for the comfort and cuddling the males will give the babies. He went after the formula faster than the babies, he loved it.

Since the Gatorade has sugar in it the pigs will drink it easily. It sounds like your vet is on the right track and is doing everything necessary for your pig. I hope this turns him around and back to health.  Best of luck to you. Please let me know how he does.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.