Guinea Pigs/My Guinea Pig Is Sick:( He Want Eat!

I have a boy guinea pig. He's a very spunky, hipper, little guy. I feed him carrots for 2-3 days straight with a little celery cause he had ran out of food. Now he want eat or drink. I took him to the vet today. They really didn't know what it was. They cleaned him out, and game him two shots. Fluids and a B12 shot. He's drinking a little bit more now. He has only ate 2-3 pieces of his hay though. That was his favorite he used to eat it and beg for more. He's not as active as he normally is. He does move around, throw his head up, and ever once in awhile run around his cage. I don't know what to do with him. I need help before this gets too bad.

Celery is not a good food replacement for guinea pigs. It's too fibrous and they don't digest it well. It has little nutritional value, so he may be suffering from a bit of malnutrition from not having a balanced diet for two or three days.

I would recommend you get some Critical Care. It's like Ensure for animals and is made for animals who are not eating well but need those nutrients to keep their bodies going. Malnutrition often causes the kidneys to go into failure, so the Critical Care may help him to replenish the organs that have been stressed by not being able to keep up with his needs.

Not eating or drinking is a very serious sign or trouble, so please don't wait any longer to start him on what he needs.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.