Guinea Pigs/New Pets

Question
Hello,
I recently took-in two boars from a family friend who had owned both of the boars for three years and they have always been togather , but recently (i`ve only had them for about five days.) ive seen them begin too what seems to be humping eachother or pushing eachother around? I`m not sure if this is fighting or something that they normally do , it only happens everyonce in awhile after I feed them or at night , I give them equal amounts of food and love and dont show favoritisim towards them , but they always seem to be making some sort of trouble with eachother. When i contacted the owner she said it was normal and they had been doing this for awhile which had eased the thought of them possibley being stressed out my thought now is its over territory , but again im not sure becuase they seem fine for a few days or hours and have no problems?

Many Thanks,
         Maddie

Answer
The previous owner is right, this is a normal behavior. Sometimes we even see this mounting with sows. There may be a bit of stress with the new location but they should settle in just fine within a few days.

Pushing and mounting is not fighting. When two boars fight there's no question about what's going on. You will see the hair on the back stand up, they begin to make a growling sound as they circle one another. Next thing you see is fur flying and someone getting bitten, badly.

After three years of being together they're probably going to continue their peaceful relationship. Sometimes when two boars are raised together one or both of them begins to show hostility as they reach sexual maturity. It's caused by their natural hormones and they have to be separated. But after this length of time it's doubtful this will happen. Especially if there are no females around for them to smell. As females we always seem to bring out the worst in some men!  

If there are no wounds and no evidence of serious aggression I don't think they're going to start now. I think this is just an adjustment period that will hopefully pass. But keep an eye out for any sign of anything that might mean real aggression.  If that happens they keep them apart.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen