Guinea Pigs/Pregnant guineapig?

Question
Hi

I have four guinea pigs, two males andtwo females. The males are about 1 year old and the females about 8 months old. They have been kept in the same cage ever since i bought them and even when they are in the garden they are all out together. One of the females are very fat but even many months passed but did not have babies. The other female had a litter in June where the two babies were born dead. They did not have fur and their limbs were not properly formed!! Now for the last three weeks i have noticed the same female who had the litter before getting a bit big. Could she pregnant again? One of the things i notice is that she lies down a lot and after a heavy meal she tends to wobble alot whan she walks. Shes quite big from the sides as well. Is she pregnant? If so how do i know? Is there a way i can be sure? And what should i do?

Answer
Anytime you keep males and females together you will have babies.

Your litter of babies without fur were premature. Dead litters are a constant threat anytime you breed pigs. A female comes into heat within hours of delivery and will become pregnant again if the male is with her. There is no doubt that the female is again pregnant.

You need to separate the males from the females and keep them apart. You don't say how large your cage is but if their living quarters are not large enough you will not be able to have a healthy herd.

Having two males and two females all in the same cage is a recipe for trouble. The males will begin to fight for the territory and they will get hurt. My suggestion is that you provide separate living quarters for the girls and the boys and keep them that way.

Keeping them all together is not good . You will continue to have the same problems you've already experienced and in the next litter you could lose the mother as well.  

Please for the sake of your pigs remove the boars and keep them apart. Each of them needs a cage of their own to prevent the inevitable injuries they will suffer.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen