Guinea Pigs/treats

Question
Hello my names Jenna you answered my question the subject to the question was My new guinea pig. belle and Pepper seem to get tired of the treats i have been giving them. what kinds of food can they eat?

-Jenna

Answer
If you're feeding a good quality pellet to your pigs they don't necessarily need treats. The pellets should contain all the nutrients they need to stay healthy and happy. Treats are just a little extra goodie and should not be overdone.

If they've become bored with the treats you've been giving try stopping them for a week or so. They may be full enough from their pellets that they just aren't hungry for the goodies. When you do offer treats keep the portions small. A piece of carrot about an inch long is enough. You may be giving them too much and they just don't want it. Sometimes withholding those treats for awhile renews their interest in them.

If you think about how you would do if every single day you got two chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk for desert you'd realize how you too would become bored with it and not want anymore. The secret is not to overdo it. Make the treats a special surprise. A couple of times a week is just fine. That way they're excited about it and will dive into them.

You can experiment a bit to see what they're preferences are. I have a friend whose pigs LOVE frozen green beans. But she only gives them one each. Mine turn up their noses at them. Another friend has pigs who love strawberries. Again, mine look at it like it's a dead body part and won't touch them.  Animals have likes and dislikes, and sometimes it takes some work to find out what they are.

Next time you're in the grocery store buy one corn on the cob. Slice the raw cob into pieces about half an inch thick. Leave the green outer part on. They like that part too. Just take two pieces off the cob, then you can cook the rest and eat it yourself.

They also like brocolli, so if you're having fresh brocolli for dinner just cut a small chunk for the pigs. The idea is to experiment with food you're going to eat so you're not wasting your time or money to buy something that's only for the pigs. Orange peels are another good thing, but just a small chunk.

And just remember, they can certainly live just fine without the treats. Those are just occasional extras. Hope this helps you out.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen