Guinea Pigs/white worm like on my guinea pig.

Hello!i just bought my 4 month old guinea pig for one month no and i saw some white worm like thing around my guinea pig's eye..i tried putting apple vinegar cider with water and spray it on a tissure and wipe around the eye area but not too close to the eye and i saw that the white woorm like insect is still there!i do't have enough money to bring my guinea pig to the there any other ways to help him?Thanks!

I've never heard of worms as an issue with guinea pigs. If it's still there chances are it's not actually a worm but a piece of debris of some sort. Guinea pigs do get lice, however they seldom go near the face. They hide where it's dark and are most typically found on the back underneath the hair. If you spread the hair you see them move, they move slowly but they will move away from the light.

Do NOT use vinegar around or near the eye. Because it's so acidic it will cause damage to the delicate tissues. If this is actually in the eyeball itself it's most likely not a worm at all but just a white spot in the eye. I would leave it alone and not try to remove it. If it's not moving it's not an insect or parasite.

I don't think this is something that needs a vet, so don't feel guilty about not taking your pet there. As long as the eye is not showing signs of infection or worsening the best thing to do is nothing.  There's an old wise saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture for me. That way I can see first hand what you're describing.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.