Guinea Pigs/my Guinea Pig is bleeding.... :/

QUESTION: start off, I got my Guinea Pig from a pet store that this man worked hard to keep. So I don't want to really blame him if his place its why my Captain is having issues. Firstly, its a girl. Her name is Captain, right now she has no one in her cage with (which I feel slightly bad about because she had other piggies in her cage at the store). She's been laying down a lot, making kind groaning like noises. Nd now she has started to bleed....
Its bad of me to pick a girl when I've only had boys in the past....
More I don't know if its any good to say, but from my last pig I learned how to talk, it sound like them. So I have been trying to make her feel at home, and now coo her.
And my friend (well moms friend), has had girl Guinea pigs in the pay so she thinks she may be pregnant, and may be trying to give labor. But she had also found some type of things on her fur. Like bugs. She says they could be mites. Please, I would appreciate your help. It worries me to not be able to take care of her.....

ANSWER: First of all I am assuming that you're talking about vaginal bleeding. If this is the case then this little sow is in trouble, she is probably trying to give birth and has a baby that is not properly positioned. If you don't get her to a vet ASAP you will lose both the mother and the babies.

As for mites, they are invisible to the naked eye. They burrow into the skin and you cannot see them. You may be able to see lice as they're tiny little thread like creatures. However, if this poor pig is bleeding and struggling she is in greater danger right now than mites.

Please, if she's still with you when you read this take her to your vet. She's in serious trouble and pain.

QUESTION: I see. Well, I've tried to tell my mom this to take her to the vet. But they called the pet store or something and said that she has tape worms, and possibly lice. Which we are taking care of now. But I am concerned if she is pregnant. Cause she also doesn't like being touched on her hips/pelvic area. She cries in pain. Which is strange because she wasn't doing that when I bought her.....
Her rum is swelled and she walks like she limps her hind legs. Like dragging them along, unless that's how she walks. But I'm pretty sure she's not a rabbit, so she doesn't need to like jump her hind legs.

It was futile to call the pet store as they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. Guinea pigs do not get tapeworms. And lice would not cause her to bleed.  I would NOT treat her for lice if this is still occurring as her immunity is already weakened, making her more susceptible to reaction from the treatment.

Your pig is in SERIOUS pain and trouble. It's cruel to allow her to continue like this. To wait any longer to take her to a vet is going to end in her dying. PLEASE, don't wait.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.