Guinea Pigs/guinea pigs

hi, my guinea pigs live outside and i wanted to know at what temperature is too cold for them ? they have a closed cage .

and another question how many times should i feed my guinea pigs cause i usually feed them maybe four times a day and before i go to bed i feed them is that bad? and what food is best for them ?
what is the best thing to put under the guinea pigs cause they make it really dirty and i clean it once a week but the cage smells alot so whats the best thing for it ?
and last question i got two female guinea pigs and when should i get a male one ?

Let's start with the last question, when do you get a male guinea pig?  Why do you want one, are you thinking of breeding?  If so then you need to get the male to breed when the females are about six months old. Although the females can be bred very young, that's the best age to put them into breeding.

You should have a bowl of guinea pig pellets in the cage at all times. They eat all throughout the day. If you can get some hay they love that too.  I use wood shavings in the bottom of all my cages. I put it pretty thick, about two inches. Then put a big pile of hay on top of that.

The hay helps to reduce any odor, plus the pigs will graze on it, some will make little hidey holes for themselves to cover up and they also just like the hay there to graze whenever they wish. You'll find that will help reduce the odor and keep the cage dry longer. You still need to clean it frequently.

If they're outside the cage should be done once a week. Guinea pigs tolerate cold weather very easily. They're normal body temperature is 101 degrees F.  If it's getting down below 40 degrees at night they're fine if they have a little box to crawl into to huddle up and keep warm. With two of them together they will generate enough heat inside a little house to keep them toasty all night.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.